Subscribe to my mailing list for updates on future projects

Saturday 2 December 2017

Learning to Draw #1

I've been promoting this blog as a place where you can follow me as I "learn to draw". Apart from the occasional short comic strip or sketch I haven't really fulfilled this promise. Time to make amends!

I'm fortunate enough to know enough comic artists and editors that I can usually find a home for the short comic strips I have written. When it comes to securing an illustrator for longer projects, the only way you can be sure of getting a what you want is by paying for it. That's not currently an option for me and it sucks!

Writing a comic series takes a serious commitment. You're not just making ink appear on paper you're creating characters and worlds and pouring time and energy in to a story. A standard 4 issue mini series could be between 80-150 pages long. Pulling together a full art team of pencils, inks, colours and letters means a project of that size could easily cost at least £4000. That's enough to put you off writing longer series as what's the point if you can never afford to bring it to life.

Anyways, I could ramble like this for ages before showing you any art. I'll continue this conversation later in the Learning to Draw blog series as the drawings flow and I reveal my full deluded intentions.

Meanwhile, I been sketchin'...









No comments:

Post a Comment